64: This man commanded a Billion Dollar Submarine. Let him teach you Leadership Language: David Marquet
David Marquet’s leadership transformed the fate of those aboard the U.S. Navy submarine under his command. Watch this episode to learn tips from his latest book and motivate people through your language. David and I talk about the small adjustments in our habits and language that can make a difference. His creation of intent-based leadership programs encourages purposeful and effective leadership, which in turn creates happy and productive workers. Subscribe to my newsletter to receive show notes for this episode: https://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
- 10:32 Language matters in leadership. 19:42 The ego of decision making.
- 25:25 Reprogramming our instincts to live in the modern world.
- 32:14 Getting real feedback using the “Fist to 5” method 41:44 You can be better every day.
- 48:03 What ethical will does Marquet plan to leave behind?
- 49:52 What object or knowledge would Marquet put in or on his monolith?
- 50:39 What did Marquet think was impossible until he did it?
David Marquet served as captain of the U.S.S. Santa Fe, a Navy nuclear submarine. Since retirement, he has written books and workbooks about effective leadership. He also gives speeches and runs the YouTube channel Leadership Nudges. Buy Marquet’s books here: Leadership is Language: The Hidden Power of What You Say--and What You Don't https://amzn.to/37nXeNr Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders https://amzn.to/3d0Sf6h The Turn The Ship Around! Workbook: Implement Intent-Based Leadership In Your Organization https://amzn.to/37muHI7 Subscribe to Marquet’s Leadership Nudges https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6PvFiH_weNCMCnFynTNdg?sub_confirmation=1 Watch Marquet’s TEDx Talk https://youtu.be/DLRH5J_93LQ Find Marquet on the web: https://www.davidmarquet.com and Twitter: https://twitter.com/ldavidmarquet