Episode 42: Brian Keating & Dave Rubin — DON'T BURN THIS BOOK: using free speech to avoid a Sci Fi dystopia
Brian Keating interviews Dave Rubin (The Rubin Report) on the most interesting issues of the day: free speech and expression, classical liberalism, lessons from Jordan Peterson, and the imperative of tolerance. More about Dave Rubin: https://daverubin.com/ Find Dave on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RubinReport Get Dave's book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason: https://amzn.to/2KCurtT
- 00:01:00 The mellifluousness of the Long Island accent! 00:05:00 Coming out of the Closets: first as a gay man, and then as a classical liberal
- 00:12:07 The Exclusive story of how Dave named the book and designed the cover
- 00:21:00 Shadow Banning: the new normal?
- 00:23:11 Are we running out of time to defend liberalism?
- 00:26:46 Is there a danger in overblowing your message?
- 00:30:00 Similar messages like Michael Shermer's https://youtu.be/5dGzMTdfsic
- 00:34:36 Digital Detox: why and how?
- 00:41:02 Jordan Peterson: what do you do when your mentor struggles?
- 00:47:43 Are you worried about getting too popular?
- 00:52:53 High-Performance Public Speaking
- 00:57:57 Would you rather have a 1,000 readers now or 1 reader in a 100 years?
- 00:59:10 Would you rather have fans or haters read your book?
- 00:59:51 What are you most pessimistic about?
- 01:01:09 What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
- 01:03:16 Can creativity be taught? Dave’s journey from a left-leaning progressive to a free-thinking classical liberal has been quite an adventure.
As a gay married man in America, Dave spent the majority of his adult life subscribing to a certain political belief system based primarily on his immutable characteristics. Fed up with the mainstream media narrative and click-bait news, Dave decided to open up about his awakening, for all to see. He came to realize that no person or idea should be expected to join a side, but rather they should embrace their status as an individual. He now feels that political correctness and groupthink are reaching dangerous levels, distracting us from the true American dream of the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. Dave’s background as a stand-up comedian, degree in political science, and willingness to listen without fighting has uniquely positioned him to tackle big ideas and uncomfortable truths with thought leaders from both sides of the aisle. His show The Rubin Report aims to create civil discourse with people we both agree and disagree with, and host a dialogue with others whose ideas are judged before being given the chance to be presented in an honest way. Dave is currently taping season 5 of his talk show, speaking around the world with Dr. Jordan Peterson on the “12 Rules for Life Tour,” and performing stand up comedy in cities around the U.S. Dave's book "Don’t Burn This Book", is the definitive account of our current political upheaval and your guide to surviving it. The Rubin Report is the largest talk show about free speech and big ideas. Whether it’s the debate surrounding religion and atheism, foreign policy issues like immigration and terrorism, or big ideas like the role of government, Dave Rubin goes one on one with thought leaders, authors and comedians in ‘The Sit Down,’ has honest conversations and moderates opposing voices in ‘The Panel,’ and shares his own unfiltered thoughts in ‘Direct Message.’ Previous guests range from comedians Bob Saget, Roseanne Barr, and Richard Lewis, politicians John McCain, Gary Johnson, and John Kasich, thought leaders Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, and Ben Shapiro, religious leaders Bishop Barron and Rabbi Wolpe, and TV legends like Larry King and John Stossel, and many others. The Rubin Report is fan funded by an audience around the world. Distributed on YouTube and as an audio podcast, the show has over 1 million YouTube subscribers and is a top political podcast on Apple and Spotify.
For podcast listening: https://omny.fm/shows/the-rubin-report
Find Brian Keating on Twitter at @DrBrianKeating and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/