Episode 14: Alien Contact
We're digging in the vaults to explore ideas of alien contact, with Jill Tarter (SETI Institute) and Jeff VanderMeer (bestselling author of the Southern Reach trilogy). We'll talk about the Drake Equation, the faulty math of the film Contact, manifest destiny, whether we're alone, flawed assumptions about the concept of intelligence, what fiction can do to help us think about the very alien-ness of alien contact, and how it may be happening all around us.
- Jill Tarter
- Jeff VanderMeer
- The film Annihilation, starring Natalie Portman
- Brian Keating, and his forthcoming book Losing the Nobel Prize
- The Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination on Facebook and Twitter
- Jon Luc Hefferman, "A Storm at Eilean Mor"
- Tapes & Tubes, "Moon and Stars"
- transient, "moonbeats"
- DeepDark, "Aliens"
- Mastermind XS, "Aliens"
- The Whizzies, "When Aliens Come Down from Mars"
- Monplaisir, "Mortel futuriste"
- DJ Ilya Monosov and the Hedonic Islands, "Alien Abduction"
- Maruda, "Parasite noise feeding off sounds of nature"
- Studio Noir, "Lost Satellite Seeks Home"
- Podington Bear, "Satellite Bloom"
- Mystery Mammal, "Lonely Satellite"
- simon_mathewson, "stars and satellites"
- Bees, Benboncan
- Boar, Robinhood76
- Digging in dirt, Anandthethird
- Neighborhood walk, Ephemeral_rift
- Retreating earthworms, Benboncan
- Squirrel chatter, bmmcoy2
- Yucutan jungle, folkart films
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.