112: Leonard Mlodinow - My Friend, Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking: A Memoir of Friendship and Physics
Leonard Mlodinow was Stephen's closest colleague in his final years. Who better to put us in the room as Hawking indulges his passion for wine and curry; shares his feelings on love, death, and disability; and grapples with deep questions of philosophy and physics. Whether depicting Hawking’s devotion to his work or demonstrating how he would make spur of the moment choices, such as punting on the River Cam (despite the risk the jaunt posed), or spinning tales of Hawking defiantly urinating in the hedges outside a restaurant that doesn’t have a wheelchair-accessible toilet, Mlodinow captures his indomitable spirit. This deeply affecting account of a friendship teaches us not just about the nature and practice of physics but also about life and the human capacity to overcome daunting obstacles.
🎥 my previous conversation with Len, Deepak Chopra and Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/E-8mF4HWDnE?sub_confirmation=1
Get the book here https://amzn.to/3gWgS7U
Len received his Ph.D. in theoretical physics from the University of California, Berkeley, was an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at the Max Planck Institute and was on the faculty of the California Institute of Technology. His previous books include the bestsellers The Grand Design and A Briefer History of Time (coauthored with Stephen Hawking), Subliminal (winner of the PEN/E. O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award), and War of the Worldviews (with Deepak Chopra), as well as Elastic, Euclid’s Window, Feynman’s Rainbow, and The Upright Thinkers.
- 00:00:00 Intro
- 00:02:39 The story of the book cover
- 00:08:05 Stephen Hawking Inc.
- 00:12:51 Living with ALS
- 00:15:55 Hawking Radiation
- 00:16:28 The origin of the book
- 00:18:51 How do you rebuke Stephen Hawking!?
- 00:20:45 Even Stephen Hawking got writer's block
- 00:28:27 Our book is NOT an argument against God.
- 00:29:49 More thoughts on God how Hawking was "Israeli"!
- 00:30:54 Do singularities exist? Can we ever know?
- 00:33:50 What was Stephen Hawking's philosophy of science?
- 00:38:45 Have you ever "seen" a triangle? An example of realism.
- 00:42:42 What could the role of God be in the universe?
- 00:56:04 Which was the more jarring event: completing your last collaboration with Professor Hawking or his death?
- 00:59:28 How did Leonard balance his life while collaborating with Prof. Hawking?
- 01:00:37 What would you tell Stephen now if you could?
- 01:01:27 Thrilling 3 Final Questions
- 01:01:56 What is in your "Ethical Will"?
- 01:04:27 What would you put on your monolith? 01:09:25 What advice would you give to your younger self?
Watch my most popular videos:
- Jim Simons, the World's Smartest Billionaire
- Bill Perkins: DIE WITH ZERO:
- Patrick Bet-David YOUR NEXT FIVE MOVES
- Sheldon Glashow
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner
- Frank Wilczek
- Jill Tarter
- Eric Weinstein
- Sir Roger Penrose
- Juan Maldacena's First Podcast Interview
- Sara Seager Venus Life
- Noam Chomsky
- Sabine Hossenfelder
- Sarah Scoles
- Stephen Wolfram
- 🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
- 🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
- 📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
- 🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating?sub_confirmation=1
- ✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
- 📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
- 👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes
🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into