109: Nobel Prize Winner Frank Wilczek: Fundamentals -- What Are The 10 Keys To Reality?
Frank Wilczek is a theoretical physicist, author, and intellectual adventurer. He has received many prizes for his work, including a Nobel Prize in Physics. Win a FREE copy of his newest book Fundamentals: enter this giveaway - https://kingsumo.com/g/n7xeaa/win-a-copy-of-frank-wilczeks-fundamentals-10-keys-to-reality Wilczek has made seminal contributions to fundamental particle physics, cosmology, and the physics of materials. His current research focus includes Axions, Anyons, and Time Crystals, concepts in physics which he invented --each of which has become a major focus of worldwide research. In recent years Frank has become fascinated with prospects for expanding perception through technology. He is developing hardware and software tools for this. He has authored several well-known books and writes a monthly "Wilczek's Universe" feature for the Wall Street Journal.
His latest book, “Fundamentals”, was released in January 2021. Buy it here: https://amzn.to/3q9HNAr Wilczek received a B.S. at the University of Chicago in 1970, and a Ph.D. in physics at Princeton University in 1974.
Currently he is the Herman Feshbach professor of physics at MIT; Founding Director of the T. D. Lee Institute and Chief Scientist at Wilczek Quantum Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University; Distinguished Professor at Arizona State University; and Professor at Stockholm University.
- 00:04:43 What's a day in your life like?
- 00:05:25 Having a grandchild 0
- 0:08:12 How Frank got interested in machine learning and AI.
- 00:11:07 What are your current thoughts are AI?
- 00:21:20 What are the fundamentals?
- 00:24:05 What motivates to begin a new project?
- 00:27:25 About axions.
- 00:30:47 Breaking symmetry or an expanded definition of it?
- 00:37:54 What's fundamental about the scales of the universe?
- 00:40:16 Thoughts about a future envisioned in science fiction.
- 00:42:58 What do you think is the most beautiful experiment?
- 00:57;04 What is the case for the existence of God?
- 00:24:05 Is complexity fundamental?
- 01:17:09 Will we find that axions explain Dark Matter?
- 01:20:10 Detecting quantum gravitational waves.
- 01:31:56 Are there hints about a core theory of everything?
Watch my most popular videos:
- Sheldon Glashow: https://youtu.be/a0_iaWgxQtA?sub_confirmation=1
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuqyAvX7Wo?sub_confirmation=1 Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_confirmation=1
- Jill Tarter https://youtu.be/O9K9OBd3vHk?sub_confirmation=1
- Eric Weinstein: https://youtu.be/YjsPb3kBGnk?sub_confirmation=1
- Sir Roger Penrose https://youtu.be/H8G5onAqlVo?sub_confirmation=1
- Juan Maldacena's First Podcast Interview: https://youtu.be/uIzTliTHn7s?sub_confirmation=1
- Jim Simons: https://youtu.be/6fr8XOtbPqM?sub_confirmation=1
- Sara Seager Venus LIfe: https://youtu.be/QPsEDoOTU6k?sub_confirmation=1
- Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/Iaz6JIxDh6Y?sub_confirmation=1
- Sabine Hossenfelder: https://youtu.be/V6dMM2-X6nk?sub_confirmation=1
- Sarah Scoles: https://youtu.be/apVKobWigMw
- Stephen Wolfram: https://youtu.be/nSAemRxzmXM
🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating?sub_confirmation=1
✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/into-the-impossible/id1169885840?mt=2
🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating