Losing the Nobel Prize Event
April 25, 2018
Losing the Nobel Prize: A Book Discussion & Signing
Presented by the Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination and the UC San Diego Library
Please join us for a profound discussion that explores the perils of science’s highest honor with astrophysicist Brian Keating and celebrated science fiction writer David Brin on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Atkinson Hall Auditorium. A book signing and reception will follow the talk; books will be available for purchase from the UC San Diego Bookstore. All books purchased at the event will receive a limited edition gold plated bookmark, designed by Keating, commemorating the book launch. This event is free and open to the public. To RSVP, click here.
Keating’s book tells the story of how the Nobel Prize, instead of advancing scientific progress may actually hamper it, encouraging speed and greed while punishing collaboration. Keating offers practical solutions for reforming the prize.
Keating is a professor of physics at UC San Diego; a fellow of the American Physical Society; and co-leads the Simons Observatory. He’s the author of more than 100 scientific publications and holds two U.S. patents. In addition, he’s a recipient of a NSF CAREER Award and the Presidential Early Career Award.
For more information about the event, contact Mariah Fellows at email@example.com or (858) 534-6875.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to Atkinson Hall Auditorium is parking lot P502. More information about parking on campus. For more information about accessible parking on campus, click here.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. Turn left on to Voigt Drive.
9. Follow Voigt Drive to the first stop sign.
10. Lot P502 will be located on the left at the corner of Voigt Drive and Engineer Lane.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. Turn left on to Voigt Drive.
8. Follow Voigt Drive to the first stop sign.
9. Lot P502 will be located on the left at the corner of Voigt Drive and Engineer Lane.